In this consultation, Digital UK proposes a package of changes to the LCN Policy, which aim to:
- Enable the use of new technology in Freeview Play devices, which will make it easier for viewers to discover HD content, and give them access to more channels.
- Give more flexibility to channel providers. We believe channel providers are best placed to manage their portfolios to the benefit of viewers.
In particular, we propose to:
- Enable HD channels to take the place of their SD equivalents, on devices which support this.
- Enable ‘IP fallback’ channels on devices which support this. That could mean that devices that are not connected to an aerial could nonetheless receive certain channels via IP; and that viewers who rely on relay transmitters, and are therefore missing channels from some UK-wide multipexes, could receive some of those channels via IP.
- Enable channels that are delivered solely via IP, with no DTT element, to be received by devices that support them.
- Remove the restrictions on how often channel providers may reorder LCNs within their portfolio and change channels’ names.
- Remove the restrictions on channel providers trading LCNs.
- Increase the minimum broadcast hours requirement for any new channel launching on the platform to six hours per day.
The consultation has now closed.