That balcony kiss, Pippa’s bottom and Fatima’s cockroach top Freeview’s favourite TV moments of 2011
- Will and Kate’s balcony kiss voted TV moment of 2011 in Freeview poll
- But for British men, seeing Pippa in a bridesmaid dress is narrowly behind
- Fatima Whitbread’s cockroach scene in I’m a Celebrity voted second by all British adults
- Ant ‘n’ Dec narrowly pip Gary Barlow as favourite TV stars of 2011; Michelle Dockery tops the list of female TV stars
- One in ten are already making plans to take annual leave to watch the Olympics on TV; one in six men plan time off to watch Euro 2012 on TV
Brits have proved themselves to be a nation of romantics as the Royal Wedding balcony kiss between newlyweds Will and Kate was voted as the favourite TV moment of 2011. In the survey for Freeview, the UK’s most-watched digital TV service, just over a quarter of people polled (26%) cited the landmark moment which was seen by tens of millions of TV viewers throughout the world. This memorable TV scene comfortably beat Fatima Whitbread’s horror moment in I’m a Celebrity (14%), when a cockroach crawled up her nose.
For British men however, seeing Pippa in her bridesmaid dress outside Westminster Palace finished as a close second in the poll, with fourteen per cent of men voting this as their favourite TV moment, narrowly behind the balcony kiss (17%). Unsurprisingly this scene failed to resonate with women, as only one in 25 (4%) chose this as their TV moment of the year. Pippa proved most popular in Scotland and Northern Ireland, securing over 10 per cent of the vote in each region.
Favourite TV moments of 2011 (all adults)
1. Royal Wedding: Will and Kate’s balcony kiss
2. I’m a Celeb: Fatima Whitbread cockroach scene
3. Royal Wedding: Pippa Middleton emerges as a bridesmaid
4. Strictly Come Dancing: Russell Grant fired out of a cannon
5. Newsnight: Steve Coogan’s argument with Paul McMullan
6. Big Brother: Jedward get electrocuted
7. EastEnders: Baby swap storyline
8. Spooks: Ruth is killed in final ever episode
9. Dancing on Ice: Jason Gardiner argument with Denise Welch’s husband
10. TOWIE: Lauren pushes Mark into the swimming pool
Ant n Dec’s enduring appeal was underlined as they were voted favourite TV stars of 2011, scooping thirteen per cent of the vote. X-Factor newcomer Gary Barlow underlined his status as the nation’s latest TV darling, finishing second with eleven per cent, ahead of Matt Smith from Dr. Who (8%). Strictly Come Dancing winner Harry Judd scooped seven per cent of the vote, just ahead of Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey in fifth, who also topped the list of female TV stars in 2011.
Looking ahead to 2012, the nation is clearly excited about the London 2012 Olympics, with nearly a third of the nation (32%) stating this will be their TV highlight of next year. The prospect of another Downton Abbey series is the most eagerly anticipated non-sporting TV programme of 2012.
Seven months out from the games, nearly one in ten are already planning annual leave to ensure they can watch the Olympics on TV, whilst over one in six men (17%) men are already making the same plans for Euro 2012.
Freeview spokesperson Sara Jones commented: “Over the last twelve months, viewers across the nation have been captivated by great TV drama, structured reality programmes, compelling soap storylines and of course the Royal Wedding. Fast forward to this time next year and we might see one or two sporting moments enter the top ten as we get set for an unprecedented amount of sports events including Euro 2012 and the London Olympics, which viewers will be able to enjoy in glorious high definition on Freeview HD without the need to pay for a subscription.”