Last updated: 4 July 2023
Activities carried out by Everyone TV Limited and DTV Services Ltd
Everyone TV Limited and DTV Services Limited collect and use personal information about you when you use the following Freeview services:
- the Freeview website, available at www.freeview.co.uk ("Website");
- our Freeview advice line; and
- our Facebook, Twitter and consumer help channels, which you may use to find out more about or troubleshoot/report an issue with our Website or services.
Activities carried out by Everyone TV Platforms Limited
Everyone TV Platforms Limited collects and uses personal information about you when you use the following Freeview services:
- our Freeview mobile application, which may be accessed via your computer, tablet or mobile device ("Freeview Mobile App"); and
- our Freeview Play service (including the Explore Freeview Play application ("Explore Freeview Play"), the Freeview Play Quick Menu application ("Quick Menu"), the Freeview Play Accessible TV Guide application ("Accessible TV Guide") and the Channel List Management service ("Channel List Management")) which may be accessed via your connected TV (including via connected TVs provided by third parties, such as Android TV and Amazon Fire TV) ("Freeview Play Service"),
(collectively, the "Services").
This Cookie Statement describes what cookies and tracking technologies we use and why. For information about how we process personal information, please refer to our Privacy Notice [insert hyperlink].
- What are cookies?
- What cookies do we use?
- How can I control cookies?
- How often will you update this Cookie Statement?
- Where can I get further information?
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your device when you use applications or visit websites in order to remember information about your device. Cookies are widely used by website and application owners in order to make their digital properties work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information and serve more personalised content and advertising.
For the purposes of this statement, we use the terms "Cookie" and "Cookies" to describe cookies and other similar tracking technologies used to collect or store information on your device.
Examples of other tracking technologies include SDKs or pixels. Pixels, for example, are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognise when someone has visited our Services. This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page or area within our Services to another, to understand whether you have come to our Services from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website or application, to improve Service performance, and to measure the success of e-mail marketing campaigns. SDKs are coding provided by our partners that may be installed in our apps. SDKs help us understand how you use our apps and to collect certain information about your device and network you use to access it.
Cookies that we set are called "first party cookies". Cookies that are set by third parties are called "third party cookies". Third party Cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through our Services (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third party Cookies can recognise your devices when it visits our Services and also when it visits certain other websites or applications.
In addition, Cookies that expire at the end of a browser session (normally when you close your browser) are called "session cookies". Cookies that are stored for longer are called "persistent" cookies.
What cookies do we use?
The Cookies in use on our Services and why we use them can be categorised as follows:
- Essential Cookies: these Cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with our Services and to use some of their features, such as access to secure areas. These Cookies are also used to keep track of your use of our Services and to identify your user session.
- Functionality: these Cookies are used to enhance the functionality of our Services but are non-essential to their use. They allow us to remember certain choices you have made and to customise the content on our Services for you. However, without these Cookies, certain functionality (like videos) may become unavailable.
- Performance / Analytics: these Cookies are used to measure the performance of our Services. These Cookies collect information such as the number of visitors to different pages or areas of our Services, where visitors have come to the Services from, the technologies used to access them and the pages or areas they visited. They help us to understand how our Services are being used to enable us to improve them.
- Advertising Cookies: These Cookies are used to make advertising more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
- Personalisation Cookies: These Cookies are used to personalise the user experience, so we can provide targeted or recommended content to you. If you choose not to consent to these Cookies, we will not be able to provide you with personalised content that we think may be of interest to you.
Specifically, we use the following Cookies on our Services:
Website - www.freeview.co.uk
Type of Cookie
Who serves them
|Postcode checker - this Cookie is placed if you use our website to check your postcode and house name to find the channels that are available to you and to check the status of Freeview where you live. We need to use this Cookie to provide you with your search results.||Session|
|- this Cookie helps to limit the amount of data recorded by Google and endures for 1 minute.||Persistent|
|- this Cookie helps us understand user interaction with the website.||Persistent|
|- this Cookie is used to analyse a user’s session and provide information for our analytics report.||Persistent|
|- this Cookie stores information on how a user uses the website and helps create an analytics report on the website functionality.||Persistent|
|- this Cookie is set by Facebook to deliver adverts on Facebook after a visit to this site.||Persistent|
|- this Cookie is set by Facebook to show relevant advertisements users and measure user interaction.||Persistent|
|- these Cookies are set by Acquia for personalisation purposes to display targeted or recommended content to users.||Persistent|
|- this Cookie is set by Acquia as a testing cookie to ensure the browser accepts Cookies||Session|
Freeview Mobile App (IOS and Android)
Type of Cookie
Who serves them
|Functionality Cookies||Freeview – Location Cookies|
|- if you allow location services, this Cookie allows us to temporarily access your current location to identify what content is relevant to your region||Session|
|- if you have initially allowed the location services, we are then able to use a Cookie to provide you with content that is relevant to your region, without accessing your current location||Persistent|
Performance / Analytics Cookies
Freeview Play Service on TVs (including Explore Freeview Play, Quick Menu, Accessible TV Guide and Channel List Management)
Type of Cookie
Who serves them
|Essential Cookies||Freeview – region cookie (Explore Freeview Play) This Cookie stores your TV region so Freeview can serve appropriate regional content in Explore Freeview Play.||Persistent|
|Freeview – channel list preferences (Channel List Management) If you are using certain Freeview Play Service devices released from 2020 onwards, this Cookie stores information you provide during the set up process to our Channel List Management service, including your TV region and whether you want to receive services delivered over the Internet, to allow us to give you the right list of channels on your TV.||Persistent|
|Freeview – My Shows (Explore Freeview Play and Quick Menu) This Cookie saves your favourited shows on your TV device so that you can access your My Shows list from either the Explore Freeview Play or Quick Menu.||Persistent|
|Freeview – Accessible TV Guide preferences This Cookie stores your preferences for how the Accessible TV Guide should be shown. This includes whether to filter content by subtitles, audio description or signing, and text-to-speech settings.||Persistent|
|Functionality Cookies||Freeview – Explore Freeview Play welcome video This Cookie stores information to say that the Explore Freeview Play App welcome video, played when the app is first run, should not be shown again if the user has already watched the video or has opted not to watch the video.||Persistent|
How can I control cookies?
You have the right to control non-essential Cookies. You can exercise your Cookie preferences via the cookie banners and privacy settings made available on our Services. You can also update your preferences:
- on our Website by revisiting your "cookie settings", using the link provided in the footer of our Website;
- within the Freeview Play Service:
- in Explore Freeview Play by going to the "Help & Settings" section from the top menu and selecting Analytics, to opt in or out of analytics tracking. This opts both Explore Freeview Play and Quick Menu out of performance / analytics cookies but not Accessible TV Guide.
- in Quick Menu by pressing Yellow to display the "Help & Settings" menu and selecting Analytics, to opt in or out of performance / analytics cookies. This opts both Quick Menu and Explore Freeview Play out of performance / analytics cookies but not Accessible TV Guide.
- in Accessible TV Guide by going to "Settings & Help", selecting "Help" and then "Opt Out of Analytics". This opts Accessible TV Guide out of performance / analytics cookies but not Explore Freeview Play nor Quick Menu.
- within the Freeview Mobile App by visiting the "Settings" section of your app and opening ‘Tracking & Cookies’ where you can amend your preferences.
In addition, most advertising networks offer you a way to opt out of targeted advertising. If you would like to find out more information, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices or www.youronlinechoices.com.
How often will you update this Cookie Statement?
The date at the top of this Cookie Statement indicates when it was last updated.
Where can I get further information?