Last updated: 29 October 2019
Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Statement explains what information Digital UK Ltd and DTV Services Ltd (“we”, “us” and “our”) collect about you and what we do with it. Please take a few minutes to read it.
Our digital properties (including this site and contact form, our Facebook, Twitter and consumer help email accounts and our mobile application) (“Digital Properties“) and our Freeview advice line (the “Advice Line”) are for visitors or callers (“you” and “your”) who wish to use or find out more about the business and products of DTV Services Ltd (“Freeview”) or troubleshoot/report an issue with a Freeview or Freeview Play product or service.
To find out more, please continue reading or click on the link below to jump to the section you are interested in:
- What personal information do we collect about you?
- What we do with the personal information we collect about you?
- Who do we share your personal information with?
- What legal grounds do we have to process your personal information?
- Is your personal information transferred outside Europe?
- What cookies and similar technologies do we use?
- How does the Freeview mobile app use data?
- How long do we retain data for?
- What are your data protection rights?
- How is your data kept secure?
- Links to other websites
- Changes to this Privacy Notice
- How to contact us
What personal information do we collect about you?
When you access and use our Digital Properties, we may collect personal information about you in the following ways:
(i) Information you provide voluntarily
We collect personal information that you provide to us voluntarily when using our Digital Properties or contacting us via our Advice Line or post. This includes, for example, information you provide when you complete online forms on our Digital Properties and when you ask us for advice about Freeview or Freeview Play products or services.
The personal information you voluntary provide also includes the details you provide through our Digital Properties when checking your Freeview coverage, signing up to our newsletter or personalised TV Guide, participating in discussion boards or Freeview social media functions entering competitions, or otherwise contacting us via post, email or the Advice Line (for example, to report a problem with your Freeview service or Freeview Play product). Our Digital Properties and our Advice Line agents will make clear what information you are providing and why when you provide it.
(ii) Information that we collect automatically
We collect information regarding your navigation that is sent by your web browser to our web servers when you visit our Digital Properties. This typically includes your IP address, the identity of your internet service provider, the name and version of your operating system, information relating to your navigation (pages visited, date and time of visit, name and version of your browser) as well as your user name if you have registered to use any secure areas of the Digital Properties. We may also collect non-personal information relating to interaction with the Freeview mobile application.
(iii) Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources (for example, market research companies or channel operators who you may have contacted), but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
The types of information we collect from third parties include your interactions or experiences with the Freeview platform, Freeview Play services and/or products or the Digital Properties.
What we do with the personal information we collect about you?
(i) Information you provide voluntarily
We will only use the personal information you provide to us voluntarily for the relevant purposes made clear to you at the time you provide your details, such as to deal with your request or competition entry or to fix a problem you’re having with a Freeview product or service.
(ii) Information sent to us by your web browser or mobile application
The information sent to us by your web browser or mobile application is aggregated and de-identified so that we can generically analyse the number of visits to our Digital Properties and their content, the average time spent on the Digital Properties, etc., to improve the Digital Properties’ content and functionality.
The information we collect automatically is not used to create individual visitor profiles. This means we will not track your individual navigation.
(iii) Information that we obtain from third party sources
We use the information we receive from these third parties to provide troubleshooting assistance regarding our Freeview products or services, or to improve our Freeview products and services.
In general, we will use the personal information we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your personal information.
Who do we share your personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to Digital UK Trading Limited who manages technical aspects of the Freeview and Freeview Play platforms, third party services providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Digital Properties; to help respond to support and advice requests; to help you purchase Freeview Play products; or to administer competitions on our behalf), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information;
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to a potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
What legal grounds do we have to process your personal information?
If you live in the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
Is your personal information transferred outside Europe?
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country.
Specifically, our site servers are located in Ireland, and our third-party service providers and partners operate in the United Kingdom, Ireland and the United States of America. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice. For further details of these safeguards please use the contact details below.
What cookies and similar technologies do we use?
How does the Freeview mobile app use personal and non-personal data?
The Freeview mobile app records personal data and non-personal statistics about usage of the application in order to improve and better tailor the application for all users. To use the app you will need to enable access to location services or provide your postcode to allow for you to receive the correct content for your region. We do not store your postcode as this information is only used to assign your region when you first set up the application (you may need to re-enter your region from time to time).
How can I stop the App processing my data?
If you do not wish for the Freeview mobile app to process this data, you may switch this off. Click on the My Freeview tab in the bottom right-hand corner of the App. When you have reached the My Freeview screen, scroll down and press the switch labelled “Share Statistics”. A white switch indicates you are not sharing any personal data or non-personal statistics.
How long do we retain data for?
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so. Such legitimate business interests include for example, to deal with any requests made by you, to provide you with a service or any help you have requested, to complete a competition or promotion we are running, to complete research insight or analysis, or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
What are your data protection rights?
You have the following rights in respect of the personal information we collect and use about you:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
- If you are a resident of the European Union, you have a right to object to the processing of data relating to you on legitimate grounds, to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information.
- You have a right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for the UK Information Commissioner’s Office can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Please note that before we are able to provide you with any personal information or correct any inaccuracies, we may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details to help us to respond to your request. We will endeavour to respond within an appropriate timeframe and, in any event, within any timescales required by law.
How is your data kept secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include keeping your personal information on secure servers and computer systems, protected from outside intrusions.
We also take measures to require third parties with whom your personal information is shared in accordance with this Privacy Notice have in place appropriate security measures and do not process your personal information for unauthorised purposes.
Links to other websites
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Notice. You are advised to visit the Notice on a regular basis to stay information of our current privacy practices.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us using the following details: by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or post to: Legal Department, Freeview, 2nd Floor, 27 Mortimer Street, London, W1T 3JF.
The data controllers of your personal information are (1) DTV Services Ltd of 27 Mortimer Street, London, W1T 3JF which is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number Z7207230 (2) Digital UK Limited of 27 Mortimer Street, London, W1T 3JF which is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number Z9156270 acting as joint data controllers.