From time to time we'll launch new channels on Freeview. When this happens, most Freeview HD TVs and Freeview HD recorders will send you a pop-up message asking you to retune (rescan) for new channels or updates to existing ones.
Before retuning, type your postcode into our service updates page to see what TV changes are scheduled in your area and which channels are affected.
How to retune
With most devices, you'll just have to press ok or retune when prompted. But if your TV doesn't prompt you to do this, you may need to manually start the retune.
Manual retunes may vary slightly depending on which device you have, but they usually include the following simple steps:
- Press menu on your box or TV remote control
- Select set up, installation, update, or a similar option. If you’re asked for a password, the default code is 1234 or 0000.
- Select first-time installation (sometimes called factory reset, full retune or default settings).
- Press OK if your equipment asks if it's OK to delete existing channels, then your retune should start automatically.
- If prompted, save the channels that are found.
You might find that your channel favourites and scheduled recordings are also deleted after retuning, so you'll need to check and reset them. But any recordings you've already made should still be there.
However, if your set-top box or TV isn’t working correctly, you may sometimes need to clear its memory completely, or reboot it. If you have any problems, check the user manual, or get in touch with the manufacturer.