This article referred to Freeview Play compatible 2016 LG TVs. Most 2017 LG TVs come with Freeview Play built in.
If you have a new 2016 Freeview Play LG TV then after set up, if you turn the TV off and on again you should be prompted for the software update as long as you are connected to the internet.
With an existing TV, if you do not receive a prompt when you switch on then try turning off and on again. If this doesn’t work follow the steps for manual software update below. When prompted, you will need to accept and download the update. Once this is complete, try scrolling backwards in the TV guide to see programmes that are highlighted as available on demand.
In some cases a retune may be required to enable the scroll-back TV guide – you should receive an on screen prompt to do this. You will be taken to the Programme Tuning menu – select Auto Tuning > Antenna > Digital Only Search – retuning will take a few minutes to complete.
Manual software update
If you missed the onscreen software prompt don’t worry your TV will remind you periodically. If you’re keen to download now there’s a way of doing it manually:
- Press the settings button (a picture of a cog) on your LG remote control. A column of icons will appear on the right-hand side of the screen. Move to the bottom icon – All Settings – using the arrow keys and select this.
- The All Settings menu will appear on the left-hand side. From here, move down to ‘General’ and use the arrow key to move right into the sub-menu.
- Move down to ‘About this TV’ and select this.
- Move down and select ‘Check for updates’.
You will see your software version and a button to check for updates. The following software versions contain the Freeview Play update (your software will depend on the model number):
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
In the case that you need to retune to see the scroll-back TV guide follow these instructions:
- Press the Settings button (a picture of a cog) on your LG remote control. A column of icons will appear on the right-hand side of the screen. Move to the bottom icon – All Settings – using the arrow keys and select this.
- The All Settings menu will appear on the left-hand side. From here, go to the Programmes option and select Programme Tuning & Settings from this list.
- Once in the Programme Tuning area, select Auto Tuning > Antenna > and Digital Only Search.
- Your LG TV will then begin auto-retuning and may take a few minutes to complete.