To get the most up to date service from Freeview it's important to retune from time to time.
Many Freeview devices now prompt you to retune (re-scan) when a new service launches or a change has taken place. This usually just involves pressing 'retune' when you're prompted to, but from time to time you may need to manually start the retune.
To help with this, check out our handy retune videos below:
- Generic - Freeview TV
- Alba, Bush, Finlux, JVC, Logic or Toshiba TV
- Humax - Freeview Recorder
Or, follow these instructions to retune your device.
How to retune your device
Retuning is straightforward, and while it may vary slightly depending on which device you have, it usually includes the following steps:
- Press menu on your box or TV remote control
- Select ‘set-up’, ‘installation’, ‘update’ or a similar option. If you’re asked for a password, the default code is ‘1234’ or ‘0000’.
- Select ‘first-time installation’ (sometimes called ‘factory reset’, ‘full retune’ or ‘default settings’).
- Press ‘OK’ if your equipment asks if it's OK to delete existing channels and then your retune should start automatically. If you’re prompted to, save the channels that are found.
You might find that your channel favourites and scheduled recordings are also deleted after retuning, so you'll need to check and reset them. But any recordings you've made should still be there.
However, if your set top box or TV isn’t working correctly, you may sometimes need to clear its memory completely, or reset it. If you have any problems, check the instruction manual, or get in touch with the manufacturer.